Utilities | Public Works | Stormwater
WORCESTER COUNTY, MD
In late 2006 Worcester County, MD contracted with Spatial Systems Associates Inc. (SSA) for the provision of 911 mapping services, funded entirely by the Maryland Emergency Number Systems Board.
Worcester County's Department of Emergency Services was maintaining its address data on hand drawn paper maps and using a "flat file" address database. Street centerline information was being maintained by the department of Comprehensive Planning, with no direct data transfer capabilities between the two organizations. SSA developed a turnkey enterprise GIS from the ground up. This work involved:
- Creation of a base map using existing orthophotography
- Design of a geodatabase for the many data layers to be created
- Creation of an attributed street centerline from diverse source data
- Field verification of structure addresses, including structure photography
- Creation of a vector cadastral layer from exiting paper documentation
- Vectorization of utility drawings, including attribution
- Creation of over thirty different data layers
- Development of fire and emergency response orders of response zone maps
- Implementation of ArcSDE and ArcIMS to enable data sharing within County government
- Development of a data maintenance plan
- Development of data maintenance applications for address and street centerline data
- Training and support of county staff for the first year after the system is delivered.
In order to ensure the data conversion work was done correctly, SSA implemented a thorough quality assurance program for our work. This included:
- Design of geodatabase rules, a work process and training of our staff to produce a good product.
- Visual inspection of the converted data compared to the source original.
- Topology assessment to ensure the vector polygons and other features we created met the project specifications.
- Review by our team member QC staff.
This project was delivered to Worcester County in December 2007. Since that time the Department of Emergency Services has maintained a relationship with our firm, seeking assistance as needed as issues requiring our support arise.